DataRails allows you to know exactly what has been changed between different versions of your Excel file.
This article includes four sections:
- Using the Compare Tool
- The Compare Tool Symbols
- Dependent Changes
- Single Cell Changes
- Add Comments
- Add Alert
- Add KPI to Insights
1. Click on the FileBox you want to compare. In the version tab choose any two versions of your file you wish to review by checking their checkboxes and click Compare.
2. The Compare tool will open and commence logical comparison between the two versions.
Loading time will differ between files sizes and the modifications complexity.
Understanding the Compare tool screen:
1. Switch between the tabs to quickly review the different file versions.
2. The sidebar lists the changes made to your file. You can toggle between changes made to the current sheet or all sheets, and between the changes type – preview manual changes only or function results changes as well.
3. The Excel Viewer shows the changes made to each individual cell. Hovering over a cell that has been changed will pop up an informative message in regards to that change.
4. Review the changes in the different sheets of your file.
View cell history:
1. On the Excel viewer of the Compare Tool, right-click on any cell its history you wish to view and choose Show cell history.
2. A graph will pop up, tracking all modifications made to that specific cell. You can choose between different graph types. Hovering over the values in the graph will provide you with further information.
You can add comments to cells on the compare tool. When a cell has a comment, an indicator appears in the corner of the cell. When you rest the pointer on the cell, the comment appears.
- Use the compare tool
- Move the cell pointer to or click the cell to which you want to add the comment.
- Right click on a cell and select Insert Comment
- A new text box appears
- Type the text of your comment in the text box that appears and click save
- DataRails marks the location of a comment in a cell by adding a tiny triangle in the lower-left corner of the cell. (This triangular indicator appears in blue)
- To display the comment in a cell, position the mouse somewhere in the cell with the note indicator.
- To see all comments by versions right click on cell with the note indicator, select audit trail, change to list view.
Add Alert is an automatic alert mechanism that tracks changes made to specific cells. You can add as many rules as you like and DataRails will keep a track of them. Once the spreadsheet is changed and the values/text/formulas reach the notification rules you have set, you will automatically receive an email to inform you. You can also add multiple email addresses to one notification rule.
- Use the compare tool
- Move the cell pointer to or click the cell to which you want to add watcher.
- Select "Add Watcher" from the drop down list
- A new window will pop up
- Name the Watcher. Select the value type; Set the conditions; Type relevant emails in the Notify to; Select status; Add
- The new Watcher will be listed in Watcher tab located in the FileBox details screen.